The following list was inspired by the honeymoon season of The Earful Tower in 2018.
1. Walk the top of the old city walls in Saint Malo at sunset
It’s really as magical as it sounds, the old fortified walls will leave you gobsmacked. Prepare for wind!
2. See the tapestry of Bayeux
We’d heard about this museum, but nothing compares to walking along the 70m tapestry and taking it in yourself. Be sure to check out the local cathedral too, well worth a visit!
3. Walk through the old town of Bernay
Ever heard of Bernay? Neither had we. But it’s absolutely a hidden gem of the north west – stop there on the way to Deauville, perhaps?
4. Explore the pink granite rocks at Ploumanac’h
Not only is this place one of the prettiest villages in the country (it won an award for it in recent years), but the seaside is mesmerising.
5. Try local delicacies such as cider, galettes, crepes, and Kouign-amann
Avoid your typical restaurant choices at all costs – go with the flow. Even if you can’t pronounce it. Ten points if you can pronounce Koign-amann. I still can’t.
6. Check out the Mont Saint Michel at low tide
Write a message in the sand and see it from the monastery above!
7. Visit the charming village of Dinan
Another pearl in Brittany, be sure to add it to your itinerary. Why not have a cider by the water while you’re there?
8. Find a museum along the D-Day Beaches
We went to the Juno Beach centre, which was a good one, but there are plenty more to choose from.
9. Stay in a farm-house with a French family
We found a few via Airbnb and they were excellent. I suppose you never know what you’re going to get, but a good French family will take you in and treat you like their own. Good luck!
10. Take the back roads and find the small villages
Can’t stress this one enough – get off the highways and you’ll be amazed at what you find!
That’s it for now. Of course, this list is best enjoyed as a 30-minute podcast where we get right into the details. Once again, listen here.
In the mean time, if you wanna see all the bonus footage and support this show at the same time then sign up on Patreon today and unlock it all. Or, the full honeymoon features prominently in my 2020 book, Paris On Air.